Surveying the Geological Wonders of Iceland with National Earth Science Teachers Association
July 6 – July 14, 2017
The land of fire and ice, Iceland is an earth scientist’s dream, abundant with majestic waterfalls, active volcanoes, expansive lakes, winding rivers, massive glaciers, and vast mountainous and uninhabited terrain. A land of arctic desert, towering mountains, hot springs, erupting volcanoes, and midnight sun, our itinerary includes opportunities to study a number of topics, including plate tectonics, volcanic systems, rock formation, geological history, glaciation, deposition, geothermal power, hydrology, natural history, carbon sequestering, Viking history, human geography, environmental science, and conservation in this 9-day immersive experience. CEUs or Graduate Credits are Available.
- Study Iceland’s dramatic and varied geology including towering waterfalls, bursting geysers, massive glaciers, and volcanoes.
- Visit local power plants to gain an understanding of thermal energy production.
- Examine the social and environmental impact of volcanic eruptions and other environmental events.
- Stand on the rift of the European and North American tectonic plates at Þingvellir.
- Visit one of Iceland’s most well-known cascades, Gullfoss waterfall.
- Explore the process of carbon sequestering with the CarbFix Project.
The Earth is our home. National Earth Science Teachers Association (NESTA) believes that to teach our planet, one needs to know our planet. NESTA supports international professional development as it unites teachers with all aspects of our home planet so they can in turn connect and engage their students with the Earth.
All-inclusive Land pricing
$3,450 (based on minimum group size of 18 and double occupancy) Land price includes accommodations, meals, and activities as mentioned in the itinerary, in-country transportation, and local guides. Does not include international airfare, gratuities, or items of a personal nature. *Single supplement/discounts for triple occupancy are also available. *Estimated international air cost: $825 (Please call for confirmed gateways of travel.)
To Sign-up for the trip:
A $200 per person deposit and enrollment form are required by March 8, 2017 to secure your space on the trip. This deposit is refundable excluding a $100 cancellation fee until April 2, 2017, at which point non-refundable final payment is due. Travel/ trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended. For more information visit travelinsured.com or call Travel Insured at 800- 243-3174. Holbrook Travel’s agency number is 15849.